Country singer-songwriter Sarah Darling recently sent her new song, ‘Little Umbrellas,’ to country radio. Mediabase caught up with her for a quick few questions.
1) You just released your single ‘Little Umbrellas’ to Country radio. What prompted you to choose this for your next single?
I chose ‘Little Umbrellas’ as a single because it’s a fun summer song! It felt like the perfect time to release it! As soon as you listen you are imagining yourself on the beach with a pina colada! It also shows a different side of me that radio and fans have yet to hear! My girls anthem!
2) You have begun a new venture and are working closely with Alexander Music Marketing. Can you tell us a little about that experience?
John Alexander has been my manager for the last few years but recently he branched out and started his own company when we both parted ways with my previous label. I honestly feel that when he came into my life, the puzzle pieces started to fit. I’ve never seen anyone with more passion than him! Now I feel like we have more creative freedom and the tools to go to the next level of my career! It’s so exciting for both of us!
3) Who have been some of your biggest musical influences?
Shania Twain really influenced my career! I remember being 14 years old and seeing one of her music videos and thinking, this is exactly what I want to do! She opened up a new door for females in country. I also admire Trisha Yearwood, Alison Krauss, and Lee Ann Womack! Then throw in a little Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty!
4) You are the face of Moon Pie! That’s a pretty sweet (literally) endorsement deal. Can you tell us a little bit about how that came about?
My endorsement deal with Moonpie came at the perfect time really. I had a single out called ‘Home To Me’ that made you think of that home feeling! What better partnership than taking a sweet that totally reminds people of when they were a kid and promoting a song that takes you to that special place. Not only was my face on millions of moonpie boxes, we also partnered with the Grand Ole Opry and Southwest Airlines for a sweepstakes on that back bringing lucky winners to Nashville! So next time you go into the grocery store, you might see my face!
5) What are some of your passions besides music?
If I’m not singing, I’m probably in the kitchen! Baking makes this girl so happy! I feel like it’s therapeutic in a way to bake amazing desserts! Of course, I enjoy eating them too! Besides that, I love traveling, and consider myself a fashionista!
6) You were on last season’s ABC-TV The Bachelor performing two different times. Can you tell us what it was like being part of that show and experience?
Being a part of The Bachelor was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had! It took place in Whitefish, Montana, one of the most gorgeous places on earth. I think it was a combination of the mountains in the background and being on a real set that I can’t get out of my mind! I was honored that ABC wanted me to sing ‘Home To Me’ on one of the episode’s dates. It’s a perfect love song!
7) What experiences most influence the songs you write?
I always pull from real experiences when I write my songs! I tend to write exactly what’s going on in my life! Currently every song I write is about love love love! Maybe that’s because I’ve found it! I know that there have been times in my life that I could say exactly what I wanted to say in a song. That’s the beauty for me.
8) You recently got engaged! What’s the most exciting part of the wedding planning up to this point?
The most exciting part of wedding planning for me is coming up with ideas for a country meets British wedding! My Fiance is a handsome Brit! We have an amazing and interesting life! It will be fun to see what we come up with!
9) What is a song that you wish you would have written?
I wish I would have written ‘The House That Built Me.’ Every time I hear it, I can’t help but tear up!
10) You bake a new recipe weekly each Saturday on Pinterest as a part of “Darling Desserts.” What persuaded you to begin this weekly posting?
I started the weekly darling desserts because cooking is something genuine to me! I think it’s great when you can let fans in on something you really love. Authenticity is the only way! Plus I love coming up with new recipes!
1) What a guilty-pleasure TV show of yours?
My guilty pleasure show is Downton Abby!
3) What is your favorite ‘Little Umbrella’ drink?
That’s easy, Pina Colada!!!